Friday, October 2, 2009

What is true humility?


Today was a busy day when needs of the family intruded into my prayer time. Judging by the responses of people, it was really an idea inspired by the Lord to share a little about the daily journey with God.

A question that has always intrigued me from time to time is the definition of humility. In the past I had mistaken low self esteem to be the model of humility. Denying oneself and being negative about one self was often applauded as great humility because it made other people feel good about themselves, powerful and superior. The best way is to look at the Lord and His life.

St. Paul speaks of how Jesus became empty of His divinity to humble Himself even unto death. This seems to prove the above mind set. Yet if we look at the “I am” statements of Jesus it looks the exact opposite of it. He says I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me. The Father and I are one, or when you see me, you see the Father!

In this context I have come to realise that being humble is to be truthful! Be real, don’t pretend and play games for an image boost in the eyes of others. If my value, worth and love comes from God my Father and Jesus my Lord, what other people think of me really is not that important. Why do I want other people to think highly of me? Those days I thought that I must do it so that they can come to the Lord, looking at my goodness. But if my goodness is not real, it would only be a short term attraction that ultimately ends up with disappointment and pain.

Yet if they see how I desperately seek the Lord, and how real His love, mercy and forgiveness is to me, they would learn to look beyond me and even join me in seeing together the Lord Jesus who is the only one who can truly set us free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an appropriate blog for my life today... Indeed it is the Lord who is speaking to all of us through this post... PTL!

Marian said...

What a timely sharing. Last night I had written the following sentence in my journal. It is something a priest had told me about two years ago that I reflected on many times and prayed with. Last night I wrote it again because of an experience I had with the Lord's love touching me. I was so thankful to Him! The sentence was..." I have great worth apart from performance or appearance because Christ died for me and therefore, imparted worth to me."
This sentence was from a priest who looked straight at me with the love of the Lord and said I was so loved by Him and needed to sing repeatedly the children's song, Jesus loves me..." Two years later I wrote the same sentence last night in gratitude along with what I had experienced. This morning I read what Lalith had written and was amazed!!! All I can do is praise my Savior!!!

Unknown said...

Lalith thaatha! When you speak the word of the Lord, we see the radiance on your face, May Our Lord be in you always and lead us in the correct path of Jesus , Our Saviour!